Social icons

Reflexion on fashion: uniqueness and individuality

Monday 20 August 2018

A week ago, I was sat on a rooftop, watching the fireworks in Geneva. It was a nice evening, and I was there with my boyfriend and a couple of his friends. At some point, I started chatting with one of them that I already met several times, whom I knew was into fashion, and naturally, the conversation went towards this topic. His dream is to own his own fashion company, where every piece will be unique, each of them hand painted with one of his orignal design. I loved the idea right away, and totally met his thoughts on this specific topic: uniqueness. We are part of generation where everybody looks the same, dresses the same, follows the same trends. Fast fashion is a real disaster, both for our own personalities, but also for our environment. That is why his idea seduced me. However, as beautiful as it was, at some point it had to meet reality.
I always wanted to wear unique pieces, to own a personal style that nobody else had, to find that one piece that will make me different. Thrift shops are heaven for people craving uniqueness, but it is not always that easy. I still got tempted by high street brands, as showed my latest blogpost, but I am not ashamed of it. I think that you need to find a balance. You can follow the trend, if you want to stay in, and if you are a fashion blogger above all, it can be real hard to go against the stream. I like thrift shops, I like to spend a little more money in a rather unique bag or garment, in a fragrance that costs an arm but is too niche to be smelled on every woman you cross path with. We all want to be unique, but it can be hard when we are stuck in a society such as ours. As a student, short on money almost every month, I can't afford unique pieces, so I still shop at Zara or ASOS, yet choosing wisely every piece, thinking "will this last for years in my wardrobe and does it really match my style?". If the answer is yes, I buy it, making sure before that I don't own something similar already. If I am not a hundred percent sure, I leave it on the shelf. However, time to time, I invest in an expensive piece, that I haven't seen anybody - or at least everybody - wearing. 
My conversation on that roof that night made me think. I wish I could only buy from independent stores, young designers willing to grow, I wish I could afford an entire unique wardrobe. Yet I can't. But little by little, I purchase those unique pieces, and I mix them with my high street curated founds, I create a wardrobe and a style that is mine only. Unique, even if still anchored in the high street names. 

xo

Amy

Post a Comment